To lose your head is a surefire way to be classed as dead on any TV show. But, what if that wasn’t actually Ned Stark who was beheaded in front of everyone? As crazy as this sounds, there is a great chance of Ned Stark still being alive on Game of Thrones. It’s essential to entertain every single Game of Thrones conspiracy theory, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. We have seen people brought back to life by the Lord of Light, a girl unaffected by fire and of course, dragons! This indicates that nothing is impossible on GOT. As fans of both the books and shows know well, no character is ever completely dead on Game of Thrones. Jon Snow, The Hound, Beric Dondarrion, The Mountain, and, in the books, Catelyn Stark—they all are resurrected in some form or another. So, keeping this in mind let us look at some reasons why Ned Stark is alive.
- The first reason why we think Ned Stark is alive is that Arya claims that her dad looks different after his confrontation with Jaime. Sansa later comments on her father’s head on the pike and mentions it doesn’t really look like him. Maybe, this is a clue that fans have overlooked.
- When Arya meets Jaqen H’ghar in Season 2, the character is shrouded in mystery and referred to as dangerous. Now according to this theory, Jaqen himself takes Ned’s place, and the man who we know as Jaqen (at least by appearance) is just a dead prisoner whom the Faceless Man sacrificed in Stark’s place. There is a slim chance that Ned and Jaqen could’ve crossed paths in the jail, and the theory suggests that Varys convinced Jaqen to take Ned’s place at the execution.
- Another speculation can be that the man who is beheaded is not Ned, but the Faceless man with Ned’s mask. The Faceless Men are said to only wear faces of the dead, but this was proven otherwise in season five when Arya pulls off Jaqen’s face and sees herself.
- Arya’s swordsman trainee in the first season, Syrio Forel, is also brought into the mix. He has always been a shady character. So is the Jaqen we’ve seen this entire time actually Syrio Forel in disguise. The fact that Syrio is assumed to have died is a little hard to believe as he’s such a talented sword fighter. Wanting to help Ned in order to help Arya, whom he cared for, he could have gotten away from Ser Meryn and gone down into the cells to release Ned, wearing Jaqen’s face.
- Syrio telling Aria during their training, “There is only one God and his name is Death.” Jaqen says to Arya, “There is only one God, and A Girl knows his name.” Of course, he knew how Arya knows the one and only God’s name because he is the one who told her! There is definitely a prior connection between Arya and the faceless man which had a role to play in Ned stark’s beheading.
This theory ‘Ned Stark is alive’ might be full of plot holes like why would H’ghar agree to have his head chopped off to save some noble lord he has never met before? But if we consider the assumption that Lord Varys was involved in some way or the other, no possibility can be ruled out. Fans know that his convincing skills can’t be underestimated. If we are lucky maybe we will see Ned riding in as Coldhands to save the day like Benjen Stark!
So, what do you think of this ‘Ned Stark is alive’ theory? Let us know in the comments below.