Whilst not reaching the extreme heights of 52.46 million viewers which Friends achieved for its final episode, The Big Bang Theory does achieve incredibly impressive viewing figures. Such popularity has, of course, generated many comparisons amongst both programs. Now, I don’t remember any instance where TBBT has copied from Friends. But there are some ways in which TBBT is really similar to FRIENDS. So, let us take a look at some Striking similarities between FRIENDS and The Big Bang Theory TV series.
- A gorgeous blonde moves in and a geek has a Crush On Her. Ross liked Rachel since High School and when she moved in, he always waited for the perfect moment to ask her out. Similarly, as soon as Penny moved across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon, Leonard relentlessly tried different ways and means to impress her.
- The four male protagonists of The Big Bang Theory and Chandler and Ross from FRIENDS were bullied as a kid, and both Penny and Rachel bullied other kids.
- Penny and Rachel were waitresses aspiring for bigger achievements. Penny wanted to be a famous actress while Rachel wanted to earn a name in the field of fashion.
- Rachel, Monica, Joey and Chandler were neighbors, in the same way as Leonard, Sheldon, and Penny.
- Both, Leonard and Rachel’s mothers reveal to their kids their plan of divorcing their spouses.
- Pheobe and Howard’s father left them at an early age.
- Ross-Rachel and Leonard-Penny are on and off couples.
- Pheobe ‘s signature song is, of course, Smelly Cat and Sheldon’s is, well, Soft Kitty.
- When Rachel moves in with Joey, she asks him to move his recliner to which Joey says, “It is the exact equal distance from the bathroom to the kitchen and it’s at the perfect angle so you don’t get any glare coming off of Stevie!” Now, those who watched The Big Bang Theory TV series would find a striking similarity between this and what Sheldon reasons as to why he chooses his spot. Here it goes. Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory:“In the winter, that seat is close enough to the radiator to remain warm, and yet not so close as to cause perspiration. In the summer, it’s directly in the path of a cross breeze created by opening windows there and there. It faces the television at an angle that is neither direct, thus discouraging conversation, nor so far wide as to create a parallax distortion. I could go on.”
- Bernadette once tried to seduce Howard when she was sick. Monica did the same to Chandler.
So, what do you think of these Striking similarities between FRIENDS and The Big Bang Theory TV series? Let us know in the comments below.